So you have decided to start a new career or change direction in 2023.
That is fine but have you taken proper time to think about what this means, what your plan will look like and how you will approach it?
Here are some initial questions to ask yourself:
- What is it about my current career that isn’t working?
- What does this new career offer that my current career doesn’t?
- What does this new career excite in me?
- How does this new career align with my core values and career needs?
- What are the long-term opportunities associated with this new career?
- What skills or resources will I need to take advantage of these long-term opportunities?
- Who do I know who is already in this career and can give me an honest “insider’s” perspective?
- Will my friends and family support this new career?
- How long will it take to make a comfortable living in this new career?
- Do I have the financial resources to make this new career work? If not, how can I get what I need to feel secure?
- What issues and challenges can I predict in my transition to this new career?
- What can I do now to minimize these potential challenges?
- What specific experience do I hope to gain in this career move?
- How will my previous experience help me in this new role?
- Is this career move one step in a larger plan? If so, what does this new career need to provide in order to help me move forward?
These are some of many issues to stop and think about. A new career needs careful consideration and planning.
If you would like to discuss these issues with someone outside your immediate family and friends please contact Peter Wilford at Gateway Careers on 0800 0439115, write to him at email@example.com or visit our web site at www.gatewaycareers.co.uk